This is a great make-ahead dessert that will definitely impress your guests. Black Forest gateau consists of several layers of chocolate sponge cake sandwiched with whipped cream and cherries. It is decorated with additional whipped cream, maraschino cherries, and chocolate shavings.
Ingredients of Black Forest Cheesecake
- 75 g unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
- 300 g dark chocolate biscuits
- 2 x 425 g tins of dark cherries in syrup
- 2 Clementine
- 350 g caster sugar
- 6 large free-range eggs
- 400 ml double cream
- 560 g Philadelphia plain cream cheese
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 200 g dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids) , plus extra for serving
- 1 dash of double cream
- 50 g unsalted butter
- 1 Clementine
Method of Black Forest Cheesecake
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/gas 4. Grease the sides and line the base of a deep 23cm loose-bottomed cake tin.
- To make the biscuit base, melt the butter in a pan over a low heat. Blitz the biscuits in a food processor until they resemble fine crumbs, and then add to the melted butter.
- Mix well to coat the crumbs, and then tip into the prepared cake tin, spreading it out evenly.
- Place in the hot oven for 10 minutes, or until darker in color, then remove and leave to cool.
- Meanwhile, to make the filling, add the tinned cherries and their syrup, the Clementine zest and juice and 150g of sugar to a pan over a medium heat.
- Cook for around 20 minutes, or until reduced to a syrupy consistency. Leave to cool and set aside.
- Separate the egg yolks and whites into 2 separate bowls. Add the remaining 200g of sugar to the yolks, then use an electric whisk to beat for 5 to 7 minutes, or until pale and fluffy.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Place the cream, cream cheese and vanilla extract into a third bowl and beat into soft peaks.
- Fold the egg yolk mixture into the cream cheese mixture and gently fold through the egg whites. Spoon the mixture onto the biscuit base, then gently swirl through the cherry syrup.
- Place the cheesecake in the freezer to set overnight.
- When you’re nearly ready to serve, make the chocolate glaze topping. Place a medium heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water, then add the dark chocolate, cream and butter. Allow to melt, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the cheesecake from the tin and place on a cake stand.
- Pour over the chocolate glaze, then decorate with some gratings of dark chocolate and Clementine zest. Serve with a gold leaf and sparklers to make it extra special.
Total Fat 37g 56%
Saturated Fat 22g 111%
Cholesterol 160mg 53%
Sodium 320mg 13%
Carbohydrates 48g 16%
Dietary Fiber 1g 5%
These are the methods of Black Forest Cheesecake!!!